Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fried Chicken Cutlets



I was asked the other day what is my favorite type of cuisine to make and I really had to think about it before I responded.   When it comes down to it, I really don't have a favorite cuisine, my cooking style is comfort fusion which essentially means I incorporate the flavors and techniques that I love and create dishes that just make you feel good.  In this particular dish, I used my Italian grandmother's approach for frying chicken and used my love of southern flavors to blend the two together.  

Ingredients
1.5 lbs Chicken Cutlet (Boneless, Skinless and Pounded Thin)
2 Cups Buttermilk
1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
2 Teaspoons Hot Sauce ( I used Crystal)
1/2 cup French Fried Onion Pieces
1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1/4 Cup Flour
1/4 cup BBQ Sauce
1 Tablespoon Buffalo Wing Sauce
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
Canola Oil

Preparation
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, smoked paprika and hot sauce. 
  2. Add chicken, cover chicken completely in liquid, cover and refrigerate for 2 1/2 hours to brine.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
  4. In a mixing bowl, combine fried onion pieces, bread crumbs and flour.  With a fork, smash onion pieces to to make the texture of the breading less dense.
  5. Coat each side of the cutlet with the breading mixture
  6. In large saute pan, add enough canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  Turn to medium high heat
  7. Test to make sure the pan is hot by sprinkling a bit of the breading into the pan.  If is sizzle, you are ready
  8. Add chicken and brown each side (approximately 3 minutes)
  9. On a greased sheet pan, transfer browned chicken and place in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until cooked thoroughly
  10. In same saute pan, on medium high heat add chicken stock to deglaze and release any fried remnants of chicken.   Let liquid reduce by approximately 1/2 then add BBQ sauce and wing sauce.  Allow to thicken and reduce.  Set aside.
  11. Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, turn the oven to broil and allow the chicken to crisp (approximately 2 minutes)
  12. Dress to taste with sauce and serve
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment