Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chicken Fried Steak


I have yearned to be a Southern belle for years and constantly pleaded with my husband to please move to the South.  Well, little did I know that because Maryland is located South of the Mason Dixon line, I now live in the South.  I have always loved Southern food so here is a recipe for Chicken Fried Steak.  Y'all enjoy! I keep catching myself saying y'all and my son said fixin' the other day, I am bound and determined to embrace my new life and everything it has to offer!

Ingredients
2 Lbs Cube Steak
1/2 Lemon Juiced
1 Cup Flour  
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Whole Milk
1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
3 Eggs (beaten)
Salt and Pepper

Preparation
  1. Preheat Oven to 250 Degrees
  2. Cut Cube Steak into portions
  3. Place flour and eggs into two separate bowls or shallow containers
  4. Season flour heavily (when you think you have too much, add a little more)
  5. Dredge meat with flour on both sides, then into the flour and then again into the flour.  
  6. Season the meat again and allow to rest for approximately 10 minutes
  7. On medium-high heat, place a large saute pan add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  Make sure the pan is hot before you add the meat, if it doesn't sizzle the pan is not hot enough.  Brown each side of the meat (approximately 3-5 minutes each side).  If need be, work in batches and place the meat that is already browned on a sheet pan in the oven.  Continue until all meat is browned and place in the  oven, season again. 
  8. In the same pan with the drippings from meat, whisk in the flour.  Add the chicken stock and lemon juice and deglaze the pan.   Allow to come to a boil and the liquid begins to thicken, add milk and thyme and whisk until desired thickness has occured.    Season with salt and pepper AGAIN
  9. Serve the steaks topped with the gravy
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment